Monday, January 6, 2014

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Hi blog friends!  It's like breathing a huge sigh of relief to be back on here again.  As you may recall from my last post (which you can read here), I put this blog on a hiatus until my husband came home.  Well, I am happy to report that Rex has moved home for good, and I can finally resume my housewifery.  I must confess I'd grown quite complacent.  Cooking for one is anticlimactic, so I got used to sandwiches and eating out.  But then when the Qdoba lady knew my name since I was there so often, I got kind of scared that I was losing my silks forever so I started cooking again, ha ha.  Cleaning took a back seat too.  I would stay pretty picked up, but who was going to notice if there was dust in my corners or if I hadn't scrubbed my shower head?  No one, that's who.  Elvis certainly wasn't going to tell on me.  So I just kind of let it go.  But now my husband's back, so I can feel good about cleaning again!

Come to think of it, I'm quite sure he wouldn't notice dust in the corners or a grimy shower head either, but somehow I feel better when I'm actually cleaning for someone instead of just for myself.

So anyway, this past weekend I went into total housewife overdrive.  In the past few days I completed the following recipes (all from scratch, obviously):

- Chipotle-crusted chicken with mashed potatoes and spiced green beans
- Spaghetti with homemade meat sauce based on the Olive Garden recipe and accompanied by homemade garlic bread (that bagged stuff from the frozen section is SO last year)
- Homemade burritos including guacamole from scratch, sautéed Mexi-spiced chicken, cilantro-lime rice made from scratch, and various other burrito accoutrements
- Cinnamon Amish Friendship Bread (PS that recipe took literally TEN DAYS to make because I had to "grow" the yeast starter.  So yeah, be really proud of me on that one.)
- Chocolate Mint Trifle (a dessert which accompanied a frozen pizza...  I felt bad about cheating on that dinner so at least I made a cool dessert).
- Chicken Tortilla Soup  (homemade, obviously.  What is this "canned" nonsense?)

Since all of that cooking happened over the course of a weekend, you can see that Rex and I have been eating pretty well.  I'm trying to convince him to never leave again, ha ha.  But really, I was just bored because I was on Christmas Break from school and had nothing better to do.  I was actually looking forward to going back to school, but alas.  It wasn't meant to be.  Due to a raging, record-breaking blizzard that has hit Southwest Michigan, I'm now on Day 1 of a (at least) two day snow day spread.  Well, I'm obviously super bored now.  I've already exhausted all of my recipes, and Rex is away at work.  I don't have any grading or lesson planning to do because I'm technically on an extended break.

Basically, I was really bored.  I had nothing to do; no one to serve.  I can't even leave the house because snow drifts are keeping my car from going anywhere (Rex took our Suburban... it's the only vehicle that has a chance in this weather).  I was trying to figure out what to do when I looked down at our dog Elvis and came up with a brilliant idea:

I would make DOG TREATS!

What's more domestic than home-making your dog's food??  Plus, I remembered that I had a really sketchy looking dog treat mix that I got from some guy who lived near the dog park last year.  I bought it for $1.  Looking back, that was actually really dumb.  I got the bag out of my cupboard and looked at it skeptically - it was a bag full of who-knows-what, with no instructions on how to turn this floury mess into edible dog snacks.  It could have been a bag of arsenic and crack, for all I knew.  Alas, boredom makes people do weird things.  I got online and googled "what to add to dog treat mix."  Some recipes were really elaborate.  People are getting weird about what to feed to their pets, like "Add GMO-free wheat that was grown in a sunny location and organic eggs from chickens who only ate organic feed and took occasional classes in philosophy..."  Okay, I'm exaggerating, but only a little.  Finally I figured, "He's a DOG.  He'll eat anything."  So I just added water to the powdery mixture until it made a pasty dough.  Then I cut the dough into dog bone shapes and slapped it in the oven at 350 for 18-20 minutes (because it seems like that's the directions for every run-of-the-mill baking recipe).  When I took them out, they actually looked like dog treats!  What's more, Elvis LOVED them!  He hasn't even died or anything, which I find very promising.  I need to cook for Elvis more often - he's my least picky critic.

I'm on a cooking ROLL.  I need to bake something for Elsie.  Or reorganize another closet.  The Vintage Housewife is BACK, y'all.  Stay tuned for fabulous.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! And if you run out f sketchy dog treat mix, I have a super easy recipe for them - just needs peanut butter, milk, and flour. That was my Christmas gift to all of the doggies in my life this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made the dogs PB dog treats before - and they devoured them so I'm assuming they were good, haha. We are snowed in as well, and out of food! Eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're back to this blog too! Wow, being cooped up really has made you even more productive!

    ReplyDelete